The Ravinia Festival, the oldest outdoor music festival in the United States, is a popular summer destination for hundreds of thousands of concert goers from the Chicago Area each year. Founded in 1904, this historic venue has hosted such luminaries as the Ballet Russe, Luciano Berio, George Gershwin, José Greco, Jascha Heifetz, Leonard Bernstein, Lucrezia Bori, Dave Brubeck, Pablo Casals, Van Cliburn, Aaron Copland, Duke Ellington, Ella Fitzgerald, John Houseman, Janis Joplin, Louis Armstrong, Yo-Yo Ma, Luciano Pavarotti, Itzhak Perlman, Oscar Peterson, Stephen Sondheim, Isaac Stern and Frank Zappa.
Ravinia, a non-profit organization that is dedicated to connecting music to thousands of families around Chicago, boasts a 3,200 seat amphitheater (The Pavillion) that is the summer home to the Chicago Symphony Orchestra (CSO) and a host of other musical acts each year. This unique Pavilion is one of the nicest open-air theaters with a state of the art sound system and lighting. However, what is great about seeing a concert at Ravinia is the picnic area. In the picnic area partrons can bring there own food, beverages (yes, alcohol too!), lawn chairs, blankets, and whatever else they can carry in. While this makes the experience all that much more affordable they do have a restaurant available to those that do not plan ahead. Talk about a great place to take a date….
While Ravinia has had a reputation for catering to the wine and cheese crowd of Highland Park and the Northern suburbs of Chicago, this festival hosts a eclectic mix of music including Classical, Jazz, Blues, Pop, Rock, Country, and even rap and hip-hop that will please music fans young and old. The 2010 Ravinia lineup is no exception and is sure to have something for everyone.
2010 Ravinia Festival Lineup
- June 17 Backstreet Boys
- June 19 Buddy Guy
- June 20 Jethro Tull with guest Procol Harum
- June 23 Golden Dragon Acrobats from China (kids concert)
- June 25 The Moody Blues
- June 26 Ralph’s World (kids concert)
- June 26 Orquestra Buena Vista Social Club featuring Omara Portuondo
- June 27 “Vocabularies” with Bobby McFerrin/Chicago Children’s Choir
- July 1 John Hiatt & The Combo/The Levon Helm Band
- July 3 A Prairie Home Companion with Garrison Keillor (live national broadcast)
- July 6 The Cat Empire/Soulive/Raul Midon
- July 10 Cheap Trick with Squeeze
- July 14 The Swell Season
- July 17 Sting with the Royal Philharmonic Concert Orchestra
- July 18 Sting with the Royal Philharmonic Concert Orchestra
- July 21 The B-52s
- July 30 The Music of ABBA as performed by Arrival from Sweden
- August 7 The BoDeans/Big Head Todd & the Monsters
- August 8 The Temptations/The Four Tops
- August 20 Yo-Yo Ma/Silk Road Ensemble
- August 21 Counting Crows
- August 22 Crosby, Stills and Nash
- August 24 Counting Crows
- August 27 Poi Dog Pondering
- August 28 Rodrigo y Gabriela
- August 29 Carrie Underwood
- September 1 An Evening with the Beach Boys
- September 3 Nelly Furtado
- September 4 Train
- September 5 Tom Chapin & Friends (kids concert)
- September 6 “Labor Day Spectacular Tribute to Erich Kunzel” Illinois Symphony Orchestra/Karen Lynne Deal, music director/Alexander Kobrin, piano. All Tchaikovsky program.
For full lineup check out Ravinia.org
While tickets to concerts at Ravinia this summer are largely sold out, you can find tickets to all these shows and more at Cheap Ravinia Festival Tickets. If you still can’t find what you are looking for you can find many tickets to Ravinia show in our Illinois Concert Classifieds.